Recent Blog Posts
- Finding Happiness: Lessons from Gary Veeby Lizzy BurkI discovered Gary Vaynerchuk when I was eighteen. Not because I wanted to learn about business, but because I loved fountain pens. Loved them so much, I obsessed over The Goulet PensContinue reading “Finding Happiness: Lessons from Gary Vee”
- The Top 5 Name Sites for Writers (and Expectant Parents Probably)by Lizzy BurkChoosing character names is frustrating. You watch your novel take its first steps full of joy and wonder. Then a nameless character shows up and spoils the fun. You use placeholders. Underscores.Continue reading “The Top 5 Name Sites for Writers (and Expectant Parents Probably)”
- It’s Not Important: Ignore Plotby Lizzy BurkPlot doesn’t matter. No, really. It doesn’t. Write mindless stories. Character A gets out of bed and eats breakfast. The end. Boring. Now, the same event, but Character A has an existentialContinue reading “It’s Not Important: Ignore Plot”
- The Trap of Being Who You Are Supposed to Beby Lizzy BurkNine times out of ten, Advice fuels doubtful motivations such as Money, Fame, & Success. Of course, we all know the only motivations that actually work are banana pudding, naps, and drinkable yogurt. All other motivations lead directly to DOOM.
- The Unfortunate Domestication of Wild Writerdomby Lizzy BurkPrior to domestication, writers command a distinct self with particularities and talents. Somewhere along this blissful path, their souls are squashed by the Inevitable Plague of the Life Crisis. The realization of what one should be dawns.
- Burnt Out? Four Dark Spells to Restore Creativityby Lizzy BurkIf writing was a video game, would creativity be the heart containers? A dark grimoire reveals four spells that restore creativity, but at what cost?
- Refueling Creativity: A Guide on Music Selection for Writersby Lizzy BurkThis guide will aid in proper selection of music to get your creatives juices flowing at their finest.
- Muses and Where to Find Themby Lizzy BurkMuses. Champions of the arts. A misunderstood species thanks to Greek historians and Walt Disney. Muses are all around us. There is probably one in the closet under your stairs, the dustyContinue reading “Muses and Where to Find Them”
- Dusty Epiphanies From My Living Room Floorby Lizzy BurkLying on the floor wedged between the bend in the couch and the corner of the coffee table, the dry scent of 10,000 dust mites engulfed my senses. Eyes closed, writing closeContinue reading “Dusty Epiphanies From My Living Room Floor”